Abbotswood governing body currently have vacancies for three co-opted governors and one partnership governor.
We would love to hear from anyone who:
· Is interested in children’s education and the performance of the school
· Is community-spirited and would like to represent the community
· Has the necessary spare time and energy for the role
· Is able to work well as part of a team
· Has an enquiring mind and the confidence to ask questions and debate issues that affect the school
· Can consider matters objectively and make informed judgements
These volunteer positions are open to people from our community. Co-opted governors are not elected by a parent election but are instead appointed directly by the governing body. Partnership Governors can be nominated by parents/guardians or from our community but cannot be parents, staff or local authority members. These are also appointed by the governing body.
What is the role of the governing body?
· Helping to set and review the school’s strategic direction and agreeing targets for improvement
· Holding the Head Teacher and school leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
· Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure public money is well spent
What does the role offer?
· A chance to develop your own personal skills
· Access to a programme of free training in respect of education/governance matters
· A sense of achievement in helping make a difference to children reaching their potential
· The support and guidance from fellow governors
In looking to fill these vacancies we are particularly interested in applications from people with legal knowledge/experience, finance knowledge/expertise and leadership skills; although please do not be put off if you do not have these skills. What is more important is enthusiasm, interest and the willingness to learn.
If you know of somebody else who would be interested, then please contact the school office for an application form which will need to be completed and returned by 12 noon on Tuesday 28th February 2017.
If you would like to discuss any aspects of the role before submitting an application, please leave your contact details with the school office and we will be more than happy to call you or meet up for an informal chat.
For further information please also look at the information for prospective governors on the Hampshire County Council website at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/education/governors/gov-volunteer.htm. You will find video, e-learning and written information on the site and all of these will provide you with further details about the role.
Chair of Governors